Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Courage is Exhilarating

Personally, I've started out 2015 with an awful stomach flu, a burst steam pipe --- and home-related damage.



My aunt says I need to start the year all over again. But I say, I just need courage and a great sense of humor.  I'm working on both.


Found at: google.com/courage


According to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/courage
COURAGE (n.) -
the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
Word Origin
C13: from Old French corage, from cuer heart, from Latin cor
In the meantime, I found some powerful quotes from a variety of sources as well as some awesome graphic-quotes from Zen Pencil about courage. I am parking them here.  For me, and for you.

I hope you enjoy. 
And when you're done, please share how and where you find courage in the comments below.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” ― Winston S. Churchill
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch” ― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird 
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”― Nelson Mandela
“Courage is found in unlikely places.”
J.R.R. Tolkien
From http://zenpencils.com/comic/roosevelt/
This quote was used in the final episode of the Roosevelt Documentary and was taken from Eleanor’s book You Learn By Living, which she wrote near the end of her life. There’s a great article about the book on Brain Pickings.



Here is another zenpencil rendering on courage. It is a powerful rendering of Frank Herbert's Litany Against Fear and I warn you, it's quite powerful.The Litany against fear is the mantra of a group of powerful women in the Dune books called the Bene Gesserit, who have achieved superhuman powers from mental and physical training. Zenpencil notes that while not familiar with the Dune series when this was created (February 27, 2012), he created an even more meaningful interpretation.  What do you think?



As always, thanks for your visit.
Please let us know how and where you find courage in the comments below.

11 comments:

  1. My son gives me strength and courage.

    This is an amazing post.

    Dropping by from http://pixiedusk.livejournal.com/339569.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three deaths of people I know the 1st two weekls of trhe year. I COULD do with a do over, too!

    What puts the ape in ape-ri-cot? Courage!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Fear is a tricky thing and almost everyone in the planet feels it on different levels. A heroic act might be viewed as more foolhardy than brave, if fear does not come into the equation somehow. I find there are many ways to get inspired: going within, exploring nature and learning from others who overcame great challenges despite being scared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only moment I really fear something is when my children didn't come home one night. I was not afraid in the concentrationcamp or later when a young Indonesian boy threatened me with a knife. Maybe I have a guardian angel.
    Well I wish you a very happy fearless week. Thanks for the interesting post.
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I think that sometimes the people with the most courage are those who think they're the least brave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a great post. I started to just skim through and not read it properly, but as I read more and more I needed to start over. Thank you for posting this today. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep this small card and it was an automatic response when I read your question:
    "Do not be afraid of sudden terror nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes. For the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught." Proverbs 3:25,26

    ReplyDelete
  8. The graphic short on an abusive relationship, the tide that washes over her, is powerful. I write about domestic abuse (One was called "Mt. Manny and the Lava Pool"), and I was moved by this. Seems to harken back to Eleanor Roosevelt's quote. Lots of great thoughts here, so I'm glad you posted to ABC so I could see them. Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Lord will guide me along the pathways of life and that includes fear. He will watch over me.
    In the book of Psalm's the bible is for Believers scriptures for all who have faith.

    ReplyDelete